sharks, shoes & love


Image result for shark images
I'm not scared, are you?

Like most of the world I'll be watching the amazing footage of sharks starting July 22. It's an annual thing--Shark Week. Can you believe SW is now celebrating 30 years? Three decades of scaring the pants off of us with footage of feeding frenzies, human-shark close calls and a lot of very unlucky seals. I'd like to also think of shark week as a great learning experience. Each year, thanks to the shark love-hate, we humans learn more about the fish, the ocean and our impact on both. It's daunting and humbling.

Circling Sharks
love sharks + love shoes = 24 style

Some businesses capitalize on scare tactics (can you say: Jaws?), some companies are trying to do good for sharks and the world in general. 24 Style makes shoes and clothing with designs that focus on endangered and misunderstood animals. The positive side of things is always the way to go. And oh yeah, they also make sneakers with donut designs. Talk about positive!  24-style.com

Image result for love images
i agape you

Love is a powerful but so overused word that its power has been diminished. We can say we love shoes or sharks or writing. We can love the ocean or long walks on the beach. The Greeks had many words to differentiate the many kinds of love--philia, eros, agape, storge--it never got confusing. Friendship, sexual attraction, world-love and bonding, the words each had their own power. Even the passion lovers have for each other has its own term, sfodro aisthima. The separate words forced the Greeks to prioritize and separate the feelings, which we can do as well. I am bonded to my writing. I am passionate about my lover and I agape everything else. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Where I am

Writing, shoes and book reviews