More Factchecking Revenge 

Image result for angry librarian

Where are the facts?


In my previous blog I discussed a magazine (Fall Harvest Hoffman Media) that while lovely, had no photo credits, resources, DIY instructions or list of where to buy items shown. What little info they did impart was faulty or inaccurate. The only saving grace of the magazine were the 80+ recipes.

In Martha Stewart's Living or Williams-Sonoma Entertaining magazines, I'm practically Ubered to the store where the items were purchased. Exhaustive lists and crystal clear instructions are in every issue. This is important as it shows care has gone into the production of the magazine--attention to fact and details. And they care about the vendors being promoted. It makes me want to copy the style (with my own spin) of the table setting, decor or interior design. 

Please do not buy eye candy that won't provide some sort of Where to Buy index. Do not buy magazines that don't label items correctly or tell you to do things that don't make sense. In one attempt at DIY, FH suggests stacking pumpkins and then keeping them steady by inserting dowels into the upper pumpkins. FH suggests using a drill or an ice pick to poke holes in the pumpkins...don't do it.


Stacked Faux Pumpkins Fall Decor 

Don't stab a pumpkin...don't do it. 



First, pumpkins will rot almost immediately after their flesh is pierced. Flat, wide pumpkins will stay put if their stems are removed and you stack them in pyramid fashion--largest on the bottom. You can also buy already stacked pumpkins from most craft supply stores. (If you want to get clever  -- The Spruce: https://www.thespruce.com/guide-to-best-types-of-pumpkins-4092354) 

I noticed that in my search for items shown in FH, many of them were either discontinued or only available on eBay. I also saw the same items available from many different sources--Anthropologie, Target, Pier One, and even Walmart. Without any guidance you could end up with the wrong flatware and paying too much for it.

All in all the magazine felt rushed, slapped together quickly. True, this is only one person's opinion. But I want to pass along my life lesson that I learned the hard way (again) that pretty pictures won't make you happy or your table any more special.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Where I am

Writing, shoes and book reviews