Jason Bourne & I: never in the same room


Image result for Jason bourne
to be invisible...

Jason Bourne and I have a lot in common--we're both trained to be invisible.

In the movie, The Bourne Identity, Agent Alexander Conklin tells Bourne: "I don't send you to kill, I send you to be invisible. I send you because you don't exist."

As a server at catered events (weddings, parties, award ceremonies, etc), I too, am sent in to be invisible. My manager could as easily said that to me (except for the kill part). I wear the same uniform as the other men and women who serve food and drink. Nothing bright in my hair, face or nails. I'm blending in...faceless, nameless.

Think about it. Do you remember the face or the name of the person who handed you a cocktail or an hors d'oeuvres at a recent event? Or did you think: Who just took my napkin?

I'm also trained as a substitute teacher. Talk about invisible. Ask yourself, what substitute do you remember? None. I don't even remember my substitute teachers.

Whether I'm serving as a teacher or serving food, I'm paid to be invisible, not to be noticed or remembered. I'm sent in to be silent, do my job and clean up. Little or no interaction with clients or students. In my chosen professions being invisible is a good thing--a necessary thing. A wedding is the brides turn to shine. A subbed class gives students a chance to finish homework (which should have been done the day before) or study.

Are you invisible?
Or don't you want to be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Where I am

Writing, shoes and book reviews